List:       gentoo-amd64
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-amd64]  Re: kdelibs-3.5.10-r6 failed
From:       "John P. Burkett" <burkett () uri ! edu>
Date:       2009-06-14 21:40:43

Joachim wrote:
> Joachim pisze:
>> Duncan pisze:
>>> Here it is, from your attached changelog (thanks):
>>> /usr/qt/3/bin/uic -nounload -tr tr2i18n -i kshortcutdialog_simple.h
>>>     ./kshortcutdialog_simple.ui > kshortcutdialog_simple.cpp.temp ;
>>>      ret=$?;
>>> [snip]
>>>
>>> /bin/sh: line 3:  4547 Segmentation fault      /usr/qt/3/bin/uic
>>> -nounload -tr tr2i18n -i kshortcutdialog_simple.h
>>> ./kshortcutdialog_simple.ui > kshortcutdialog_simple.cpp.temp
>>> echo '#include <klocale.h>' >> kshortcutdialog_advanced.cpp
>>> make[3]: *** [kshortcutdialog_simple.cpp] Error 139
>>> make[3]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
> I sent before I finished writing. Here is what I wanted to write:
>
> I had problems with uic segmentation faults because I had march=native
> in my C/CXX FLAGS. When I changing march=native to march=k8 ( as in
> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Safe_Cflags/AMD ) and reemerging qt-3 and
> kdelibs solved my problem.
>
> Also I got an explanation (
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-5795915.html#5795915 ):
> qt3 is stripping flags. Some that must be compiled with the same flags
> as qt don't strip flags. So the are compiled with  different flags. So
> they don't work properly.

Thank you, Joachim, for your insights.  Having no experience with
changing CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS, I should proceed cautiously.
Doing "locate make.conf" generates a long list of such files in various
directories.  Guessing that /etc/make.conf may be the pertinent one, see
that its first 6 lines read as follows:

# These settings were set by the catalyst build script that
automatically built this stage
# Please consult /etc/make.conf.example for a more detailed example
CFLAGS="-Os -march=opteron -mtune=opteron -fomit-frame-pointer -ggdb"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"

The question now, I suppose, is whether -march=opteron is "safe" for my
cpu.  My /proc/cpuinfo file contains the following lines

vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 15
model           : 65
model name      : Dual-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 2210
stepping        : 2

The "Safe Cflags/AMD" web page you cited has a section on "22xx
Dual-Core Opteron" consisting of 3 boxes.  The first box consists of the
following lines:

vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 15
model : 65
model name : Dual-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 22xx
stepping : 2

That closely matches my cpuinfo.

The second box consists of these lines:

CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=opteron -O2 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"

Thus my -march=opteron setting seems "safe."  Are the discrepancies in
other parts of the CFLAGS line significant for my kdelibs problem?

Is there anything in the third box under "22xx Dual-Core Opteron" that
needs attention?

-John

--
John P. Burkett