List:       gentoo-amd64
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-amd64]  Re: Build a 32-bit app?
From:       Darragh Bailey <felix () compsoc ! nuigalway ! ie>
Date:       2009-02-12 13:39:41

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 01:13:28PM +0000, Duncan wrote:
> Darragh Bailey <felix@compsoc.nuigalway.ie> posted
> 20090211104856.GB22274@compsoc.nuigalway.ie, excerpted below, on  Wed, 11
> Feb 2009 10:48:56 +0000:
>

> > I've run into the annoyance of not being able to run certain 32bit apps
> > on multilib gentoo since they require libraries that are not part of the
> > emul-* packages. I also don't regard the chroot idea as really being
> > that good a solution given that there are multiple users of my PC
> > (Family, girlfriend, guests, cat, etc., well maybe not the cat, but she
> > tries).
>
> FWIW, once it's setup properly, a 32-bit chroot should operate nearly
> transparently to ordinary users.  The problem is the additional headache
> setting it up and then continuing normal updates of it for admins, since
> it can effectively nearly double the usual update/maintenance load, not
> anything a non-admin user should need to worry about.  For ordinary
> users, menu entries, etc, can be set to invoke the 32-bit version instead
> of the 64-bit version (if the 64-bit version is even installed), entirely
> transparently.  All the mount-binds and etc that make things smoother
> behind the scenes are entirely admin problems, and shouldn't affect the
> users at all.
>
> So yes, there are valid reasons to avoid the 32-bit chroot solution, but
> the ease of use for ordinary users shouldn't be one of them.  The valid
> reasons are all rooted in additional admin hassle and complexity, as
> properly setup, the users shouldn't even need to know or worry about it
> at all.

Actually it was the fact that I don't want to have to do all of that for
ordinary users is my point. I can quite easily install an app to the
chroot and then run it myself, I just don't want to have to setup
something for everyone else to be able to use a program  each time I need
to install one that currently only works via a 32bit chroot

In any case, I'm still short an answer on whether there has been any
movement on the auto-multilib idea.

--
Darragh

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."