List:       gentoo-amd64
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-amd64] KDE 4.1
From:       Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann () tu-clausthal ! de>
Date:       2008-08-05 13:39:20

On Dienstag, 5. August 2008, Mark Haney wrote:
> Okay, I've been watching and waiting for KDE 4.1 to hit portage, via an
> overlay or otherwise. I've seen new HOWTOs on getting it emerged, but
> after my fun with KDE4.0.5 I'm a little more cautious.  So, has anyone
> used the directions on installing KDE4.1, do they work okay?  Does it
> emerge okay?  And most importantly, does it work?

layman -a kdesvn-portage
linking the files in Documentation to /etc/portage/package.keywords/ and
.unmask/

pmerge kde-meta-4.1.0

works great one ebuild or so from over 200 did not work (kfloppy which I don't
need anyway) --ignore-failures (with pkgcore) or keep-going (portage) are your
friends.

kde 4.1 works very well. There is a kwin crash on logout - but that is easy to
deal with - click away the info box and logout/shutdown proceeds.

There is only one annoying bug:
kmail/konqueror/kopete/kio_http/kio_pop3/kwallet aren't really quit if you
close their window and accumulate over time. The bug is already reported. It
does not hurt much - once in a while a killall is needed. Maybe a kde4.1 bug
or a glibc bug - I don't know.