List:       gentoo-amd64
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Cloning a system drive
From:       "Peter Davoust" <worldgnat () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-10-08 22:39:36

It may have already been mentioned, but I read about a program called
PartImage (www.partimage.org). It looks like more of an automatic
backup program, but it does all of the backing up and restoring for
you, I think, and I'm pretty sure you can do manual backups. I've
never personally used it though.

Duncan, I agree, copying the files makes sense, because if you make an
image or tar the files, you're copying the files anyway, but it takes
time to tar the files or make an image. I'm not sure what the time
gained for tar-ing the files is vs. just straight copying them, but
I'd imagine it's a pretty small if there is one. Then again, I'm not
familiar with how tar works, so I could easily be wrong.

-Peter