List:       gentoo-amd64
Subject:    [gentoo-amd64]  Re: Seamonkey vs Mozilla: pointless cage match
From:       Duncan <1i5t5.duncan () cox ! net>
Date:       2006-11-16 9:57:56

"Richard Fish" <bigfish@asmallpond.org> posted
7573e9640611150936n64f82ea5ie07248a244544a2c@mail.gmail.com, excerpted
below, on  Wed, 15 Nov 2006 10:36:18 -0700:

> On 11/15/06, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@cox.net> wrote:
>> Something I picked up from I believe the dev list, that Richard didn't
>> mention.  Mozilla will eventually be removed, replaced by seamonkey.
>
> I think we will still have a choice to depend on firefox (or thunderbird)
> instead of mozilla/seamonkey.  At least, that seems to be the point of the
> firefox USE flag.
>
> I suppose there could be something in the tree that requires mozilla and
> only mozilla, and that would become a dependancy on seamonkey if it hasn't
> already, but certainly none of the packages on my system have this
> dependancy.

Yes.  I was simply answering the question of why the difference
between mozilla and seamonkey, explaining that seamonkey is replacing
mozilla, both the use flag and the app.  For apps that can use firefox as
well, unless the Gentoo dev maintaining a specific app decided to change
the default for some reason, the new rules for choosing between firefox
and seamonkey should be directly parallel to the old ones for choosing
between firefox and mozilla.