List:       gentoo-amd64
Subject:    [gentoo-amd64]  Re: KDE menu problem
From:       Duncan <1i5t5.duncan () cox ! net>
Date:       2006-11-15 3:49:43

"Mark Haney" <mhaney@ercbroadband.org> posted
455A4A0B.2030202@ercbroadband.org, excerpted below, on  Tue, 14 Nov 2006
17:58:19 -0500:

> I updated a couple of packages today (I removed esound and kde-env
> because it was blocking kde 3.5.5) and now my KDE menus are all FUBAR.
> I tried to run kbuildsycoca and I get the following:
>
> kbuildsycoca: WARNING:
> '/home/markh/.local/share/applications/mplayer-bin.desktop' specifies
> undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-aac'
> kbuildsycoca: WARNING:
> '/home/markh/.local/share/applications/mplayer-bin.desktop' specifies
> undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/m4a'
> kbuildsycoca: WARNING:
> '/home/markh/.local/share/applications/mplayer-bin.desktop' specifies
> undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-m4a'
> kbuildsycoca: WARNING:
> '/home/markh/.local/share/applications/mplayer-bin.desktop' specifies
> undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/mp1'
> kbuildsycoca: WARNING:
> '/home/markh/.local/share/applications/mplayer-bin.desktop' specifies
> undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-mp1'
> kbuildsycoca: WARNING:
> '/home/markh/.local/share/applications/mplayer-bin.desktop' specifies
> undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/mp2'
> kbuildsycoca: WARNING:
> '/home/markh/.local/share/applications/mplayer-bin.desktop' specifies
> undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/mpg'
>

> I'm assuming because I remove kde-env, that that has killed my menus?
> Will this fix itself if I update to kde 3.5.5?

It did here.  I upgraded to 3.5.5 I think the day after it was released.
On starting KDE (from a CLI login not from xdm/kdm/gdm/whatever), I get a
bunch of complaints about undefined mimetypes similar to those above, but
everything continues to work.  I think the problem is that nearly all my
menu entries are customized, and of course those don't change with the
installation, so as mimetypes change or get reassigned, my menu entries
have gone stale and no longer correspond with KDE's entries.  However,
everything still works.  The only thing that might have happened is that a
few of my filetype/mimetype associations got set back to the default, and
when I click them and the wrong thing pops up to open them, it's simple
enough to reconfigure it to the order I prefer once again.