List:       gentoo-amd64
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-amd64] Several Problems
From:       Roman Zilka <rzilka () gvid ! cz>
Date:       2006-08-28 18:28:25

Okay, let's see...

> # nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig

:-)

> Section "ServerLayout"
>         Identifier     "Default Layout"
>         Screen      0  "aticonfig-Screen[0]" 0 0
>         InputDevice    "Generic Keyboard"
>         InputDevice    "Configured Mouse"
>         #InputDevice    "Synaptics"
> EndSection

This might be causing the touchpad not to work. Try this instead:

Section "ServerLayout"
         Identifier      "Default Layout"
         Screen      0  "aticonfig-Screen[0]" 0 0
         InputDevice    "Generic Keyboard" "CoreKeyboard"
         InputDevice    "Configured Mouse" "CorePointer"
         InputDevice    "Synaptics" "AlwaysCore"
EndSection

Do you see the synaptics touchpad mentioned somewhere in dmesg? If
not, something's missing in your kernel (PS/2 mice maybe; or synaptics).

Next, replace the following line:

>         Load  "extmod"

with these three lines:

         SubSection "extmod"
                 Option "omit xfree86-dga"
         EndSubSection

Over here, try commenting out the second 'Option'.

> Section "Device"
>         Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[0]"
>         Driver      "fglrx"
>         Option      "VideoOverlay" "On"
>         Option      "UseInternalAGPGART"     "on"
> EndSection

Is /dev/dri/card0 (or something else instead of card0) read/writable by
your user account? (Is there any file in that directory at all?)

> The ati driver version is: 8.27.10.
> The Kernel Version is: 2.6.17-gentoo-r5.

The -r5 version is masked for amd64. Try downgrading
to the lastest stable: 2.6.17-r4. On the contrary, upgrade ati-drivers
to the latest masked (i.e. 8.27.10-r1). First compile the kernel, then
emerge ati-drivers.
Using particular versions of gentoo-sources vs. ati-drivers was one of
my problems with that graphics card. I used 2.6.17-r4 and also the
latest stable ati-drivers. Emerge of these ati-drivers
went through all phases, but the essential component hasn't been
compiled and installed: the DRM module and I kept getting the same errors
in the log as you do. Watch the entire 'emerge ati-drivers' carefully and
if you see something like "DRM module wasn't built", play with other
versions of ati-drivers and/or gentoo-sources.

Another idea: make sure the following kernel options are in the proper
configuration (all under Device Drivers -> Character Devices):
/dev/agpgart (AGP Support) - Y or M
ATI chipset support - Y or M
Direct Rendering Manager - M or N (!)
ATI Radeon - M or N (if you see it at all)

If I was at some point speaking well-known garbage, I'm sorry.:)
Those were my two milestones towards a happy DRI and 3D-support.
If you get it working, how many FPS does glxgears give you
with the default window size? I have the feeling my result (~250 FPS) is
very weak even for this card. I gotta google...

HTH
-Roman