List:       gentoo-amd64
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-amd64] 4.1.1 fortran compiler ? Where ?
From:       "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2006-06-18 7:44:34

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 02:57:29 +0400
Samir Mishra <sqmishra@eim.ae> wrote:

> Ramin.T wrote:
> > alain.didierjean@free.fr wrote:
> >
> >> Just finished recompiling the whole world (emerge -eav world). One
> >> of the few packages that would fail (7 out of =- 720) is fftw. The
> >> reason is obvious : no fortran compiler installed.
> >> Problem : I couldn't find the proper package to emerge so I have a
> >> 4.1.1 fortran compiler for my amd64 computer.
> >> Please help...
> >>
> >> --
> >> ~adj~
> >>

> > I think only the name changed ...
> > it is not g77 anymore but gfortran.
> >
> > They will probably only have to change the ebuild
> >
> > Regards
> >     Ramin
> >
> I created a link from gfortran to g77 in the appropriate directories.
> This seems to work for me.

Do be careful with that - this from Donnie Berkholz' blog:

http://spyderous.livejournal.com/76320.html

"The entrance of GCC 4.1 into testing has made a lot possible, but also
requires a lot of fixing. This is particularly the case in scientific
computing, where there's an entirely new Fortran compiler -- gfortran.
Please note that gfortran is NOT a renamed g77. It accepts different
options, and it compiles different code. Only gfortran will compile
Fortran90 and Fortran95 code. Only g77 will accept common options such
as -fno-globals. Do not assume they are the same."

--
Kevin F. Quinn