List:       gentoo-amd64
Subject:    [gentoo-amd64]  Re: gcc-4.0.1 compiled glibc-2.3.5.20050722,	SUCCESS!  Was: broken (32bit) glibc ?
From:       Duncan <1i5t5.duncan () cox ! net>
Date:       2005-08-06 19:12:25

Jeremy Huddleston posted
<1123346597.11655.11.camel@cloud.outersquare.org>, excerpted below,  on
Sat, 06 Aug 2005 09:43:17 -0700:

> reiserfs is buggy when using a good compiler... I don't want to imagine
> what happens with a beta compiler ;)

Actually, reiserfs has been rock solid, here, ever since the kernel folks
added journal=ordered and made that the default.  That's a pretty
significant statement, too, considering I was running defective RAM (still
am, but with a new BIOS that allows me to underclock it slightly, to
~PC3000 from PC3200, and it's stable at that) for sometime, and was
regularly locking up the entire system, without any possibility of
graceful shutdown or recovery of writes in-progress.  I did lose a few
files back in the bad old days of the early 2.4 kernels (back on 32-bit
Mandrake), but IMO it's about as solid as it gets, now, even under the
fairly regular but unpredictable lockups caused by bad memory.

> Also, don't rule out glibc as the
> culprit for util-linux failing.  Recompile it with gcc3.4 with a gcc4
> glibc to rule that out and make sure it's code generated by gcc4 IN
> util-linux that's the problem.

Actually, at the time I tried it I think I was on glibc-2.3.5-r1,
gcc-3.4.4 compiled.  I only got the gcc-4 compiled glibc-2.3.5.20050722
snapshot successfully merged /after/ that.  Remember, as I mentioned, I
forgot I had reset gcc to 3.4.4 for the util-linux remerge, and did a full
merge of the glibc snapshot with 3.4.4 instead of the 4.0.1 I had intended
to use, so it was only /after/ that, that I got the new glibc merged, to
my satisfaction.

Besides, remerging util-linux with gcc-3.4.4 fixed it right up, and it's
a short enough remerge job that I verified by trying a fresh gcc4 emerged
version again after that (hoping there might have been a patch added to
the ebuild to fix the problem since my initial emerge), and it went right
back to segfaulting, and again back to working when I remerged again with
gcc-3.4.4, so it was pretty definitely util-linux as compiled with
gcc-4.0.1, that was the issue.

BTW, I use FEATURES=buildpkg, so after initial compile, switching glibcs
back to the old gentoo approved 2.3.5-rX compiled with a gentoo approved
gcc-3.4.4, is simply a matter of emerge -K-ing the desired glibc.  That's
really the only reason I'm daring enough to be running the still
hard-masked snapshot in the first place.  With emerge -K, it's almost as
simple as a glibc-config, parallel to gcc-config, would be, and in some
ways less problematic, given the fact that since I've compiled KDE against
gcc-4's libstdc++, every time I gcc-config back to 3.4.x, certain KDE apps
(generally, anything using khtml, so not only Konqueror, but kweather,
and a few others) refuse to work correctly, until I gcc-config back to a
gcc-4.x once again.