List:       gentoo-amd64
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-amd64] [ Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: can't mount DVD -- no
From:       Mike Melanson <mike () multimedia ! cx>
Date:       2005-02-27 1:44:59

Seanny wrote:
> Dimitri,  don't know why the Lite-On is showing up different later on in
> the dmesg; other than maybe to say that it's treating it as a generic
> atapi device, not sure...I'm running coldplug at boot and hotplug is
> running at the default runlevel.

	You do only have one optical drive in this system, right? And it is
wired as the master device on the secondary IDE chain, right? And the
cable didn't get bumped when you removed the cover or something?

> They're store bought DVDs.

	Dull ones, too. Hellboy I mean, though it wasn't bad, but I just felt
like it was awfully mediocre for an action movie and ... well, maybe
that's neither here nor there. :) Onto the real issues...

> Mike, I'm going backwards here.  Now I can't even mount CD-ROMs, after
> compiling ide-scsi into my kernel.  Argh.

	I'm glad we're going through these exercises...

> sean@lilfoo sean $ mount /mnt/cdrom
> mount: block device /dev/hdc is write-protected, mounting read-only mount:
> wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc,
>        or too many mounted file systems

	When this happens, explicitly the filesystem type with '-t iso9660'.
See if it complains about an invalid magic number or some such.

> sean@lilfoo sean $ ls -al /dev/hdc
> brw-------  1 sean cdrom 22, 0 Feb 26 13:01 /dev/hdc

	Okay, so the device has owner RW permissions but is owned by your username.

> They are region 1; if they weren't, I'd assume they wouldn't play in my
> standalone player (I'm in Virginia).

	Good analysis.
--
	-Mike Melanson