List:       gentoo-amd64
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: can't mount DVD -- no medium found
From:       Mike Melanson <mike () multimedia ! cx>
Date:       2005-02-26 22:56:06

Seanny wrote:
> I am not emulating scsi, since I was under the impression that I wasn't
> supposed to with a 2.6 kernel.  I did try that however, and it didn't work
> either, but I'm not entirely sure I did it properly.  Should I try it
> again?

	ide-scsi should not be necessary.

> These DVDs (the two I'm assuming are udf are Garden State and Hellboy) do
> play in my standalone player.

	I have personally seen xine play Hellboy...

> sean@lilfoo sean $ ls -l /dev/dvd
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 3 Feb 25 22:56 /dev/dvd -> hdc

	Okay, good...

> sean@lilfoo sean $ dmesg |grep hd
> hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> hdc: command error: error=0x54
> end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 44
> Buffer I/O error on device hdc, logical block 11
>  [SNIP -- tons more I/O errors, multiple sectors]
> SQUASHFS error: Can't find a SQUASHFS superblock on hdc

	This stuff strikes me as bad. Also, it does not show the whole picture.
The stuff inserted into the dmesg ring buffer at bootup has long since
been pushed out. What does the same command report after a fresh boot?

	Did you say that this optical drive used to work and that the DVDs used
to play? Did anything change on your system?

	Other experiments: Insert a random CD-ROM (not audio CD). Can you mount
and read the ISO-9660 filesystem using this command:

   mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /mnt/<mountpoint>

--
	-Mike Melanson