List:       gentoo-amd64
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-amd64] Recommendations for Intel Xeon
From:       Raimonds Cicans <ray () vardes ! lv>
Date:       2005-02-21 11:55:17

Hi!

> I'm getting a server with Intel Xeon CPUs that support EM64T (Intel's
> version of AMD64).  Would you recommend sticking with i686 compile options
> for a production-level server?

Depends on software you plan to use.

1. If you need binary only packages (like java), it is
     better to stick with i686 (because such software is
     often optimized specially for AMD 64 bit cpus not for
      generic x86_64)

2. Check portage for AMD64 support for all important packages
        if some packages miss support - stick with i686

In other words: if you plan to use only common open source
software (like apache, samba) - use AMD64, otherwise stick with i868.

Raimonds Cicans