List:       gentoo-amd64
Subject:    [gentoo-amd64] Re: Can't get any flavour of vnc to work
From:       "Robert S" <robert_s () emailme ! net ! au>
Date:       2004-06-28 9:48:58

> > On Saturday 26 June 2004 08:54, Robert S wrote:
> >> I have just tried installing both Tightvnc and Vnc.  Tightvnc (which is
> >> masked) comes up with the error messages as follows, in the
> >> .vnc/server:1.log, after I enter vncserver:
> >>  vncext:      VNC extension running!
> >>  vncext:      Listening for VNC connections on port 5901 vncext:
> >>  created VNC server for screen 0
> >>
> >> Fatal server error:
> >> could not open default font 'fixed'
> >
> > This is your problem. Examine your VNC server's startup files to see how
> > it's setting the font path, and be sure it's set to the correct path.
> > (Note that this path has changed with Xorg-X11, which could be the root
> > cause.) In my experience, VNC is *VERY* fussy about its font path.
>
> I believe U R correct.  I'm not a VNC user, but in ONE of the Gentoo
> groups/lists (groups 4 me, since I use gmane.org's list2news gateway),
> someone mentioned that TightVNC (IIRC, could be wrong, but it matches the
> symptoms) hard-codes the font paths.

I might have a go at this.  I suppose one solution might be to
set --sysconfdir=/etc and use vnc.conf.  Alternatively, I've got it working
perfectly well using the following script

startvnc.sh
vncserver -geometry "1024x768" -depth "24" \
    -fp
"/usr/share/fonts/misc/,/usr/share/fonts/TTF/,/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/,/usr/s
hare/fonts/100dpi/"

I think I'll wait for the stable version - I assume this will be fixed by
that stage.