List:       gentoo-amd64
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-amd64] High cpu usage [SOLVED]
From:       Sylvain OBEGI <katios () nolabel ! net>
Date:       2004-03-22 18:57:26

Le lun 22/03/2004 à 19:18, Dylan Carlson a écrit :
> These are not so well documented in Linux, so I don't much blame you for
> not knowing them (AND PEOPLE SHOULD KNOW THEM!)
>
> "hi" means hard interrupts (IRQs)
>
> also
> "si" means soft interrupts (typically network activity)
>
> Another one you may find useful someday is "wa", which refers to I/O
> activity... meaning, waiting for I/O to finish.   It's a good one to look
> for if things get slow -- I/O typically means your disk drives.
>
> si/wa are very useful if you're running a server and need to see if your
> system is running slow because of network traffic or disk access.

Thanks a lot for this information, it's really not widely-known..

> Anyway, in your case something, possibly artsd, is polling the IRQ for your
> soundcard and chewing up cpu time doing so.  You may want to check the
> settings artsd is/was running under to see if they were too aggressive.
>
> I would like to point out that I am running artsd without any problems...

In fact, the via alsa driver I was using didn't work properly : no
sound. Arts works in this case with the OSS driver.
I'm not saying that arts doesn't work with alsa or something, I have
this config on my desktop and it works. But as this alsa driver isn't
working here from the start, arts couldn't act properly (ok, it could
have had a better behavior, but anyway..)

Thanks again

--

Sylvain OBEGI
Email : katios@nolabel.net