List:       gentoo-alt
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-alt] Prefix: Python fails to bootstrap on OS X 10.5
From:       Elias Pipping <pipping () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2007-10-29 11:15:12

On Sun, Oct 28, 2007 at 11:57:08PM +0100, Daniel Herrmann wrote:
> I recently switched to Leopard, but unfortunately, I cannot bootstrap.
> The error while bootstrapping python is:
>
> /Modules/posixmodule.c: In function 'posix_setpgrp':
> ./Modules/posixmodule.c:3145: error: too few arguments to function 'setpgrp'
> make: *** [Modules/posixmodule.o] Error 1
> --

Although I advise against bootstrapping on leopard for now, because
quite a few essential packages don't work (e.g. odcctools), this issue
in particular can be avoided. bootstrapping python is not necessary,
because on leopard /usr/bin/python is a working 2.5.1, which is about as
recent as it gets. so while you might want to emerge python via 'emerge'
at some point -- which works, too, contrary to building it via the
bootstrapping script -- you do not need it to get a working portage.
just skip that step.

-- Elias

PS: For everybody interested in helping: this is the status:
 * odcctools don't work (and therefore gcc's ebuild doesn't work, haven't
   looked into this). i'm using /usr/bin/ld and /usr/bin/gcc as a
   workaround but that's far from optimal. as a result, LDFLAGS and
   CPPFLAGS need to be set in the make.conf. (to the usual -L / -I )
 * gnupg 2 doesn't work. use gnupg 1 instead.
 * darwin-miscutils don't work (no big deal, we have those non-prefixed,
   more recent even)
 * ghc doesn't work (damn!)
 * apr doesn't work (and therefore subversion... no big deal, though: we
   have /usr/bin/svn on leopard)