List:       gentoo-alt
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-alt] problems with bootstrapping coreutils on hpux-ia64
From:       "Jeremy O" <jer.gentoo () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-10-19 19:12:43

<snip>
> I think gcc prior version 4 could cope with the static declaration
> follows non-static declaration.  Not sure if there is a flag for four to
> ignore it.  The conflicting redefinition, I'm not sure about.

Upon more scrutiny, this appears during configuring:

checking sys/socket.h usability... no
checking sys/socket.h presence... yes
configure: WARNING: sys/socket.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: sys/socket.h:     check for missing prerequisite headers?
configure: WARNING: sys/socket.h: see the Autoconf documentation
configure: WARNING: sys/socket.h:     section "Present But Cannot Be Compiled"
configure: WARNING: sys/socket.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
configure: WARNING: sys/socket.h: in the future, the compiler will
take precedence
configure: WARNING:     ## ------------------------------------ ##
configure: WARNING:     ## Report this to bug-coreutils@gnu.org ##
configure: WARNING:     ## ------------------------------------ ##
checking for sys/socket.h... yes
checking netdb.h usability... no
checking netdb.h presence... yes
configure: WARNING: netdb.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: netdb.h:     check for missing prerequisite headers?
configure: WARNING: netdb.h: see the Autoconf documentation
configure: WARNING: netdb.h:     section "Present But Cannot Be Compiled"
configure: WARNING: netdb.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
configure: WARNING: netdb.h: in the future, the compiler will take precedence
configure: WARNING:     ## ------------------------------------ ##
configure: WARNING:     ## Report this to bug-coreutils@gnu.org ##
configure: WARNING:     ## ------------------------------------ ##
checking for netdb.h... yes

Looks like a problem with the system headers. The Autoconf manual [1]
suggests a way to fix it but I don't think that will work in this
case.

It also should be known that I am using gcc 4.1.1 which I successfully
bootstrapped via the bootstrap-prefix.sh script. This process to get
this working was quite tricky, a) bootstrap gcc with the native
hpux-ia64 tools, b) bootstrap binutils because they wouldn't compile
with the native tools, c) re-bootstrap gcc so it can take advantage of
the new binutils. [2]

Any ideas?
Thanks!

[1]: http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/autoconf.html#Present-But-Cannot-Be-Compiled