List:       gentoo-alt
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-alt] [PREFIX] Binary packages experimentation
From:       Fabian Groffen <grobian () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2007-10-12 13:58:19

On 10-10-2007 12:42:07 -0600, Nathan wrote:
> Interesting stuff.
>
> So, I've dropped out of testing prefix things for...what...a year?
> How are things going?  Is there a place that interested parties (new
> users or new-old users like me) can get up to speed on the project
> status?  Has it yet reached a quasi-stable stage?

I know of no other place than here ;)

quasi-stable... well,if you mean the number of screw-ups by me ( :p ) I
think those have been reduced drastically.

I just did a test on ppc-macos with portage 2.2.00.8084 to do a binary
install of ghc-6.6.1 (a package which takes 3+ hours to compile) and it
suceeded.  For people who want to toy with it as well, here are the
things you need to do.

Add the following to your etc/make.conf:

PORTAGE_BINHOST=http://dev.gentooexperimental.org/~grobian/binpkg/powerpc-apple-darwin8

Then try to emerge for instance this huge ghc:

% emerge --getbinpkg -av ghc

Calculating dependencies... done!
[binary  N    ] dev-lang/ghc-6.6.1  USE="-binary -doc -ghcbootstrap" [1]
[binary  N    ] dev-haskell/cabal-1.1.6.2  USE="-doc -profile" [1]

Total: 2 packages (2 new), Size of downloads: 0 kB
Portage tree and overlays:
 [0] /Library/Gentoo/usr/portage
 [1] http://dev.gentooexperimental.org/~grobian/binpkg/powerpc-apple-darwin8

Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No]

Note the "binary" instead of "ebuild" on each of those two lines.

Currently, I uploaded powerpc-apple-darwin8 (a clean and correct repo)
and powerpc-apple-darwin7 (my iBook, with a bad (short) prefix, and most
probably some outdated packages).  We're working on getting a bit nicer
URL, and having i386-apple-darwin8 in there!

On a sidenote: yes, indeed ghc compiles on ppc-macos, x86-macos and
x86-solaris!  Need to test on sparc-solaris, but that will take some
extra hours ;)

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level