List:       gentoo-alt
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-alt] [RFC] Keywords
From:       "Diego 'Flameeyes' =?utf-8?q?Petten=C3=B2?=" <flameeyes () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2005-10-06 8:40:39

On Thursday 06 October 2005 06:12, Finn Thain wrote:
> Do you define USERLAND == BSD to mean "the build product should
> interoperate with code written for Gentoo/FreeBSD", rather than
> "interoperate with all flavours of BSD"? What happens when you want to
> release Gentoo/OpenBSD?
Exactly why I thought of using CHOST/CBUILD. We are in such a trouble with
enewuser for example, or with egethome, as NetBSD/OpenBSD behave in a
different way from FreeBSD.

BSD userland should just refer to basic commands probably, with no long
options and no GNUisms. This is limiting, that's why I don't like checking
for BSD userland, but rather look for non-GNU userland (Gentoo/Linux uses a
basic GNU userland if it's not just using busybox, I'm referring to
coreutils/findutils/patch/gawk/gnu sed and so on).

The ELIBC/ARCH/KERNEL/USERLAND variables let us forget the probably most
important thing: the OS. FreeBSD and NetBSD are not the same, they are
usually akin, but they are not the same in every situation... look for when i
test for both BSD userland and FreeBSD ELIBC..

--
Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò - http://dev.gentoo.org/~flameeyes/
Gentoo/ALT lead, Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, AMD64, Sound, PAM, KDE