List:       gentoo-alpha
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-alpha] alpha newbie question
From:       Marc Giger <gigerstyle () gmx ! ch>
Date:       2006-03-02 18:03:12

Hi,

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 09:42:35 -0500
"Nick Smith" <nick.smith79@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/2/06, Ben de Luca <bedel@allmail.net> wrote:
> > >
> > > I don't know if the bootloader can boot off ext3 partitions; I've
> > > never
> > > tried.  You'll have to dig into the docs to find out.
> >
> > ext3 is ext2 with a journal. so if it can see ext2 it can see ext3
> > --

Wow, 10 mails in one day! Is this a new record for this list?:-)

I just want to say that it is relatively easy to boot from a software
raid1. Since the discs are bitwise mirrored, you can mount a single
partition directly. This is also the trick behind booting from a raid0
array. It doesn't boot from raid but reads just a single partition from
the raid. I should mention that you shouldn't mount a part from the
array read-write...

My setup is as following:

/dev/md0 on / type xfs (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,nosuid)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
/dev/md5 on /boot type ext2 (rw)
/dev/md1 on /usr type xfs (rw)
/dev/md2 on /var type xfs (rw)
/dev/md3 on /home type xfs (rw)
/dev/md10 on /usr/portage type xfs (rw,noatime)
/dev/md11 on /space/01 type xfs (rw,noatime)
/dev/md12 on /space/02 type xfs (rw,noatime)
/dev/md13 on /space/03 type xfs (rw,noatime)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)

(swap is mirrored too)

My boot partition is ext2 (to make aboot happy) and about ~40MB in size.
ext3 doesn't make sense, because the journal also needs space but
would work too...

If one disk fails, I have no downtime and loose no data.

I hope this helps a little bit with your decisions.

greets

Marc