List:       gdb
Subject:    Re: Unable to build GDB 13.1 on Solaris 11.3 Sparc
From:       Nemo Nusquam via Gdb <gdb () sourceware ! org>
Date:       2023-03-09 18:45:44

On 2023-03-08 17:19, Rainer Orth wrote (in part):
 > Nemo Nusquam via Gdb <gdb@sourceware.org> writes:
 >
 > > > I am trying (and failing) to build GDB 13.1 on Solaris 11.3 Sparc.
 > > >
 > > > Here is my configuration script.
 > > >
 > > > CXXFLAGS='-g3 -O0' \
 > > > CFLAGS='-g3 -O0' \
 >
 > Why?  Do you want/need to debug the resulting gdb itself? Otherwise,
 > just leave the defaults (-g -O2).

These options are those specified on the GDB Wiki
(https://sourceware.org/gdb/wiki/BuildingNatively).

 > > > NM=/usr/bin/gnm \
 > > > SHELL=/usr/bin/bash \
 >
 > Probably rather CONFIG_SHELL.  Btw., it's often best to have
 > /usr/gnu/bin before /usr/bin in $PATH: configure scripts sometimes
 > assume the GNU tools and fail in weird ways with the native ones.
 >
 > > > AR=/usr/bin/gar \
 > > > AS=/usr/bin/as \
 >
 > Unnecessary for gdb.

The gar options are different than the ar options.  Specifying AR
seems necessary.

 > Even when building gcc, use --with-as=/usr/bin/as
 > --without-gnu-as as documented in the installation guide. Relying on
 > $PATH is risky and fragile.

Noted though I have built dozens of different versions of GCC this way.

 > > > CC=/home/build/gcc/git/bin/gcc \
 > > > CXX=/home/build/gcc/git/bin/g++ \
 >
 > I suppose this is a 32-bit-default gcc (i.e. configured for
 > sparc-sun-solaris2.11, not sparcv9-sun-solaris2.11)?  Any reason not to
 > use the bundled gcc 7.3.0?  That one is 64-bit-default.

Solaris 11.3 came bundled with gcc-4.8.2.  I relied on config.guess,
which specifies sparc-sun-solaris2.11.  I shall try sparcv9-sun-solaris2.11.

 > > > ../configure \
 > > > --with-mpc=/usr/local \
 > > > --with-gmp=/usr/local \
 > > > --with-mpfr=/usr/local \
 > > > --enable-64-bit-bfd \
 > > > --enable-tui \
 > > > --with-curses \
 > > > --disable-bootstrap \
 >
 > This is gcc only, thus unnecessary for a gdb build.

Noted.

 > > > --disable-binutils \
 > > > --disable-ld \
 > > > --disable-gprof \
 > > > --disable-gprofng \
 > > > --disable-gold \
 > > > --disable-gas \
 > > > --disable-sim
 >
 > If you're building from the gdb 13.1 tarball, you can omit those.

Again, the options were taken from the GDB Wiki.

 > Btw.,
 > --disable-binutils is harmful: gdb depends on libbfd and won't link
 > without, as you've discovered.

Again, the option was taken from the GDB Wiki.

 > > > (Some flags taken from
https://sourceware.org/gdb/wiki/BuildingNatively .)

 > In general, please start with the bare minimum of configure flags (like
 > the --with-* stuff).  Unless you known 200% what you're doing,
 > additional flags usually cause more harm then anything.

Noted.

 > Hope this helps.
 >
 >     Rainer

Thank you.