List:       gdb
Subject:    -var-create outside of a suspended context
From:       "Flynn, Stephen" <Stephen.Flynn () dell ! com>
Date:       2016-09-19 15:25:27

I am hoping to get some feedback for a couple feature enhancements to gdb I am \
proposing to my colleagues.

The first enhancement is making the MI command -var-create usable outside of a \
suspended context for local variables and function arguments by identifying where \
these expressions exist.  This would be similar to my colleague David Taylor's \
proposed changes to ptype, whatis, and macro expand, which adds the -at <location> \
flag.

The second enhancement is when creating a variable object on a function, to make the \
arguments to a function children of the created variable object.

My motivation here is two-fold: Through the MI interface, examine a structure to \
calculate its 0x00-based offset and resolve the functions arguments in order to \
create in-memory objects that may be referenced when executing a function call.  \
Hopefully other uses may be found, making it a more attractive addition to gdb.

Thanks,

Stephen Flynn