List:       gdb
Subject:    Re: JIT debugging (Attach and speed)
From:       Yichao Yu <yyc1992 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2016-03-22 16:47:09

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 12:41 PM, Pedro Alves <palves@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 03/22/2016 04:22 PM, Yichao Yu wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 12:15 PM, Pedro Alves <palves@redhat.com> wrote:
>>> On 03/22/2016 03:46 PM, Pedro Alves wrote:
>>
>>> I re-read the 2011 discussion, and it seems like we had an idea for a fix:
>>
>> IIUC the proposed fix might cause regression in some cases?
>
> Yeah, there's no full fix available, only some ideas thrown out.
> The last discussed one wouldn't cause a regression -- the
> "longjmp"-caching idea.  We may still need to defer breakpoint re-set
> to at most once per jit load event, something like Paul's original
> patch, but with a breakpoint_re_set call somewhere.
>
> It'd even be better to somehow restrict breakpoint re-setting
> to the jit modules that were added/removed/changed, but
> that's harder.

>> This is 7.11 package from ArchLinux. I could try bi-secting although
>> apparently you are faster at pin-point the issue.
>>

>>> Currently, jit_inferior_created_hook -> jit_inferior_init is only
>>> called when the inferior execs...
>>>
>>> Grepping around, I think that might have been
>>> the fix for PR gdb/13431 (03bef283c2d3):
>>>   https://sourceware.org/ml/gdb-patches/2012-02/msg00023.html
>>> which removed the inferior_created (jit_inferior_created_observer).
>>>
>>> Adding an inferior_created observer back likely fixes the issue.
>>
>> I'm happy to test patches.
>
> I'm happy to provide guidance, but a fix would likely happen faster
> if someone else stepped up to write it.

Are these lines (or at least the first one) the ones you think should
be added back?

-  observer_attach_inferior_created (jit_inferior_created_observer);
   observer_attach_inferior_exit (jit_inferior_exit_hook);
-  observer_attach_executable_changed (jit_executable_changed_observer);

I can try that although I'm not particularly sure what was the reason
they are removed and how to check for regressions.