List:       gdb
Subject:    Re: Simics & reverse execution
From:       Michael Snyder <msnyder () vmware ! com>
Date:       2009-09-17 3:07:09

Jakob Engblom wrote:
>>> anything
> processors,
>>> Not quite... but it lets us get some use out of time in gdb without
> introducing
>>> a time concept.  As I said, if we let the backend generate bookmarks, we can
>> get
>>> to any time precision we want by pushing bookmarks from the backend.
> Withtout
>>> gdb having to understnad time.
>> Ah, the discussion comes back to where we started :)
>>
>> Sincere apologies if I'm being stupid here, but I'm still struggling to
>> understand you.  i.e. I still don't understand why "get-time/set-time"
>> commands require that gdb gains any notion of time.
>
> I think that is safe... but Michael Snyder was very clear that this had some
> major issues as I understood it?

What I think I said was that gdb doesn't currently have any knowledge
about time, and that I don't believe it needs to (other than to do
what you specifically want to do).

>> You mentioned earlier that a target might want routinely to generate
>> bookmarks (e.g. every 10ms).  If that target numbered those bookmarks
>> 1,2,3,4,etc then it would have exactly the notion of time that I'm
>> asking for here.
>
> Yes, but it is done without any time representation at the gdb side of things.

This is not what I had in mind when I said "bookmark".
I can see the utility of this concept, but I'd rather
call it something else to distinguish the two.

The concept that I was thinking about as "bookmark" was a
relatively small number of discrete points in the execution
trace that gdb would keep track of in a list, in response to
explicit, discrete user requests.  Like breakpoints or checkpoints.

Something that the target generates a large number of, automatically
or at discrete intervals or something, sounds to me a little more
similar to tracepoints.  Maybe we could talk about using something
a little more like tracepoint semantics for that.

>> I don't follow.  If we had "get-time/set-time" commands, these could be
>> proxied by gdb straight to the target.  Thus gdb remains stateless in
>> this regard, and blissfully unaware of any notion of jumping around in
>> time.  All gdb needs to know is that "set-time" will change the
>> target's state, but that's no different to regular continue or step.
>
> Yes, but it does invite for time to become more part of the state.

It's a hell of an interesting idea -- I can certainly understand
why you're interested in it.  But I don't think it's a requirement,
for the simple concept of bookmarks.