List:       gdb
Subject:    Re: GDB stub - connection from 32 bit GDB or 64 bit GDB
From:       Jim Blandy <jimb () codesourcery ! com>
Date:       2006-09-27 19:59:03

"Mitchell Fang" <mitchell.fang@gmail.com> writes:
>  How can the gdb stub know if a 32 bit GDB is connecting to the stub
> or a 64 bit GDB is connecting to the stub?   Is it even possible?  It
> doesn't seem possible to me looking at the current gdb remote
> commands, but hopefully I overlooked something.
>  I have tried different combinations with 32-bit and 64-bit GDBs and
> gdbservers and it seems like a 32 bit GDB will not work with a 64 bit
> gdbserver and vice versa.

You haven't provided enough information for us to help you.

I assume you're having some troubles connecting a particular GDB with
a particular stub, but when you wrote your message, you guessed that
the problem was a 32-bit vs. 64-bit problem, and then wrote your
message to provide only enough information for us to help you *if*
your guess was right.

Instead, simply describe to us the problem you're having, without
guessing about the underlying cause:

- What is the program you're trying to debug running on?  What
  processor architecture?  Is it an evaluation board?

- What kind of machine is GDB running on?  What operating system is it
  running?

- How is GDB connecting to the program you're trying to debug?  The
  remote protocol?  gdbserver?  RedBoot?  A custom stub built into the
  eval board?

- What happened when you tried to connect?  What was the exact error
  message?  Can you cut and paste the session from your terminal?