List:       gdb
Subject:    Re: Remote stub for ARM processor
From:       "Modi Banti" <b.modi () sssup ! it>
Date:       2004-06-28 8:39:25

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 09:50:37 +1000
  Steven Johnson <sjohnson@neurizon.net> wrote:
>Modi Banti wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to buikd a remote stub for an ARM processor
>>Simulator. I
>> have couple of problems with this...
>>
>> 1) When a Simulator arrives at a breakpoint it sends the
>>signal
>> SIGTRAP 15 (register number): PC to GDB so the GDB stops
>>and shows the
>> instruction at PC but since for ARM processor PC point
>>to current
>> instruction + 8, so it shows me a wrong line. I am not
>>sure while
>> displaying the line GDB takes into account of Pipiline.
>>I can overcome
>> this problem tempararily by sending the signal SIGTRAP
>>15: PC- 8. so
>> it works correctly but I am not sure if this is the
>>correct way of
>> doing it.
>
>You have this problem with a simulator or the real ARM.
> I believe you
>have to adjust the PC, to point to the actual line
>currently being
>executed.  I am not aware of any pipeline awareness in
>GDB.  This is a
>particular quirk of the ARM, and is made worse by
>Interrupts, where the
>LR can have various offsets from the real return address,
>depending on
>the IRQ/branch/Arm/thumb mode in question.  So trying to
>find where you
>came from can be problematic (not sure how GDB resolves
>this when it
>does a stack trace?)
>
>EG, LR after a BL = PC+4 in ARM, and PC+2 in thumb.  but
>FIQ LR = PC+4
>in both ARM and THUMB, but DABT LR = PC+8 for arm and
>thumb.  I believe
>its up to the stub/simulator to deal with this quirk and
>any problems it
>might cause GDB's knowledge of the executing program, by
>adjusting
>accordingly.

>>the same packet
>> i.e SIGTRAP 15: PC - 8 . I am not sure if I need to send
>>SIGTRAP or
>> some other signal. Here also the 'n' command works
>>prefectly fine with
>> normal code but if it is a Function call then instead of
>>stopping at
>> next line GDB stops at line after that  e. g for
>>following code
>> Mutex_lock(&mut);
>>        ++i;
>>        ++j;
>>  if I give 'n' command when GDB is at Mutex_lock(&mut)
>>then it gives
>> some series of $s#73 commands and finaly stops at ++j
>>instead of
>> stopping at ++i. this happens only in case of function
>>call for normal
>> statements it works perfectly fine. Here I am not sure
>>whether SIGTRAP
>> is a right signal and secondly sending PC -15 is correct
>>or not ( if i
> [...]

Ok I got it working.....problem was GDB used to set a
break point at next instruction after the function call
and when stub informs GDB about break point it used to
again issue $g# command and after looking at the contents
of PC ( which was actual PC )it used to decide not to
stop.... so here I always send PC - 8 ( depending on mode)
and everything works correctly only drawback is when I say
' info Registers' instead of seeing the correct PC i see
the adjusted PC ( I guess I have to live with it)