List:       gdb
Subject:    Re: [Fwd: Re: gdb/725: Crash using debug target and regcaches (in 5.3 branch?)]
From:       Andrew Cagney <ac131313 () redhat ! com>
Date:       2002-11-26 14:48:19

> FYI,
>
> Too many memory reads/writes was one reason for a ptrace'd threaded shlib program \
> running slow, I suspect this is the other.

To correct this.

This should be a reason why GDB runs slow on GNU/Linux, but, isn't!  Per
other thread, this inefficiency (a few 1 000 stray ptrace calls() is
trivialized by the millions (yes >1 000 000) memory read ptrace calls.
GDB was probably executing more memory ptrace() calls than the target
program executes instructions .... (yea, right :-).

Andrew