List:       gdb
Subject:    Re: remoteXXXXXXX and remote XXXXXXX
From:       Andrew Cagney <cagney () cygnus ! com>
Date:       1999-09-11 5:50:14

Excerpts from mail: 9-Sep-99 remoteXXXXXXX and remote XX.. Fernando
Nasser@cygnus.c (2359*)

> We currently have:

> remote remoteaddresssize:  The maximum size of the address (in bits) in
> a memory packet is 32.

(you mean ``_set_ remoteaddresssize''?)  There are also the debug commands:

	set remotedebug
	set archdebug

> I propose that we change for the following, where the second set is
> deprecated and kept for compatibility purposes until all documentation
> is changed and all users have time to change any scripts.

to ``set remote addresssize''? Yes.  I've beeing doing that for more
recent commands.

Before attacking all the commands though I identified the need for the
following prep work:

	o	implement a ``deprecated'' command type
		so that ``set remoteaddresssize'' could be hooked into
		the new ``set remote addresssize''.

		That way when the deprecated command was used, the
		user would be informed of the change.

	o	fix a number of set/show/help querks with three level
		commands.
		Play with the ``set/show remote P-packet'' et.al. commands
		and you'll notice strange behavour.

	o	start a debate about where GDB's cli commands should
		live :-)

enjoy,
	Andrew