List:       gdb
Subject:    Re: remote protocol checksum and binary download
From:       Andrew Cagney <ac131313 () cygnus ! com>
Date:       1999-04-14 4:57:17

Stan Shebs wrote:
> Yes, the binary download option has been no end of trouble - it's a
> good reminder of why we do a 7-bit protocol in the first place!  You've
> identified some real problems, and I expect that Andrew C. and others
> will mobilize to bash on them.

The very strong rumor I've been given is that Keith Seitz fixed the
problem before 4.18 went out the door.  See:

1999-03-26  Jim Blandy  <jimb@zwingli.cygnus.com>

        Merged change from Keith Seitz:

        1999-03-16  Keith Seitz  <keiths@cygnus.com>

        * remote.c (reomte_binary_checked): New file global.
        (check_binary_download): New function to check if
        stub supports binary downloading that works with
        stubs that are not eight bit clean.
        (remote_write_bytes): Check for binary download capability
        and use it if available.
        Remove references to global remote_binary_length. What a hack.
        (putpkt_binary): New function.
        (putpkt): Call putpkt_binary.
        Use xor to escape trouble characters.

Andrew