List:       gcc-fortran
Subject:    Re: [patch, fortran] PR77828 Linking gfortran-7 compiled program with libgfortran of 5.x allowed but
From:       Andre Vehreschild <vehre () gmx ! de>
Date:       2016-10-25 8:43:44

Hi Janne,

> Ugh. Is is possible to un-break the ABI then, or is the plan to merge
> fortran-dev regardless and fix the performance issues later? Seems to
> me that breaking the ABI for GCC 7 and again for GCC 8 is the worst
> choice.

The ABI is broken without bumping the version. Bumping the ABI-version is not
breaking it. That's called progress. I don't get why you oppose progress in
gfortran that vehemently. There is only limited manpower to progress gfortran,
so we all should be happy, that things are addressed. Users can always choose
to stick with an older version of gfortran when they don't want to recompile
everything. When I get the commercial compilers right, then do they change
their ABI-version with every major release. Why is what is good for them, bad
for us? We are making progress; Slowly, but progress nevertheless. So please
motivate folks to do work ...

- Andre
--
Andre Vehreschild * Email: vehre ad gmx dot de