List:       gcc-fortran
Subject:    Re: GSoC 2008
From:       Walter Spector <w6ws () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2008-03-27 4:23:01

Tobias Burnus wrote:
> Janus Weil wrote:
>
> >     Now the most obvious thing for me to do would be to continue working on
 > > last year's project, namely procedure pointers and type-bound procedures...
 >
> I think the OOP part is useful. Paul is drafting the internal structure - especially
 > in view of parameterized derived types and type extensions...
>
> (In any case, it would be bad if your early patch for parsing type-bound procedures
 > you sent in September in a private mail were lost.)

As a Very Interested bystander...  I think that type-bound procedures would be a great
addition to gcc 4.4.  Especially if finalization, an incredibly useful feature, could
be included as part of it.  I'd think this should be quite doable within the current
framework of the gfortran front end, without waiting for the full OO design (inheritance,
polymorphism) to be completed.

W.