List:       gcc-fortran
Subject:    Re: GSoC 2008
From:       Janus Weil <jaydub66 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-03-26 21:36:36

Hi Tobias,

>> And then, third question, if I would decide to apply for GSoC and
>> find a suitable project, would there be anyone willing to be my
>> mentor? Last year this was a bit of a problem, and in the end Steven
>> Bosscher did it, just because no one else would do it, and although
>> he's not very active on gfortran any more. But he basically ended up
>> doing only the 'official' stuff (which is not a lot), and I was
>> communicating much more with other people about the project itself
>> and the technical details. It would be great if this year someone
>> could be mentor who is closer to the project itself. I think the
>> 'official' stuff for Google is really not a lot of work at all. There
>> is just some midterm evaluation and a final evaluation, each
>> consisting only of a short questionnaire. Apart from that it would be
>> just me getting on your nerves and asking lots of stupid questions,
>> which I'll do anyway to anyone who is subscribed to the mailing list ;)
>
> I would do it, but I would not mind having a backup/co-mentor. I
> signed up last year, but somehow I was not approved a mentor (or I
> overlooked the emails?) - nonetheless I still got a SoC T-shirt :-)
> This year I got approved and now I'm already swamped by
> GSoC-mentors-list emails ;-)

that would be really great. Actually you would be my first choice as a
mentor, because you were the person I was working with the most last
year (and who in fact gave me the most support). I could just have asked
you directly, but I didn't want to push you :)
So, I would be very glad If you were willing to do it. And maybe we also
find some co-mentor (btw I'm sure they'll have some nice shirts again
this year ;) ...
Cheers,
Janus