List:       gcc-fortran
Subject:    Re: -malign-double failure on i686-pc-linux-gnuaout
From:       Steve Edwards <sgedward () korime ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       2007-05-31 22:24:04

On Thu, 31 May 2007 14:31:39 -0700
"Andrew Pinski" <pinskia@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/31/07, Steve Edwards <sgedward@korime.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > I am not sure if this is known or not, but I ran into a problem building an old \
> > fortran library. Taking as an example:
> > > cat check.f
> > program check
> > write(6,1000)
> > 1000 format('check')
> > end
>
> Did you read the documentation for -malign-double?

Yes, but I wasn't the person who originally wrote the build system for the librray in \
question. I looked it up once I found it was casuing the error and I cannot really \
understand why it was using it. The case I posted was just a trivial reduction that \
showed the effect I was getting.

> It specificly says -malign-double will change the ABI.

I certainly don't normally use that flag purely because of that warning.

> Also why are you using i686-pc-linux-gnuaout?  a.out support for linux
> has not been supported for a while now, I don't even think glibc uses
> it anymore.

This surprised me too. I ran config.guess from my automake RPM package and that was \
the result on my Fedora Core #6 installation. As far as I'm aware it is a standard \
installation - I certainly made no special modifications to the basic system (other \
than build the svn gfortran anyway!).

Steve