List:       gcc-fortran
Subject:    Re: New year's Resolutions
From:       Erik Edelmann <erik.edelmann () iki ! fi>
Date:       2005-12-31 16:39:05

On Sat, Dec 31, 2005 at 02:47:22PM +0100, Paul Thomas wrote:
> (v) I can see how to mend elemental subroutines; these are not
> scalarized at at all and therefore die a spectacular death in
> gfc_conv_func_call.  The trick will be to set up a scalarization loop,
> walk the arguments, as done for elemental functions, and call the
> subroutine from within the loop.

        <...>

> (ix) I have an outline plan for implementing the F2003 allocatable
> features - of derived types, dummy arguments and function results.
> This, to me, is one of the most desirable F2003 TODOs and is already
> implemented in commercial compilers.  Most of the hooks to do this in
> gfortran are already in place (Thanks, Paul B).

        <...>

> If others are working on any of the above, let me know and we can work
> out how to collaborate or to share what we have already done.  Erik, I
> have noted your interest in (v) and (ix); are you working on them?

I'm not working on (ix), and I'm not planning to do so in the
immediate future either.  If you (or anyone else) are interrested
in it, feel free to go ahead!  I agree that it is a desirable feature.

I do intend to take a look at (v) as soon as I've finished PR
23675, which I hope I will do soon (this weekend or early next
week).  In fact, I already began working on (v) once, but didn't
get very far before I was distraced by other things.  I don't
want to promise too much, however.  I must confess that I find
the scalarizer code a bit intimidating.

        Erik