List:       gcc-fortran
Subject:    Re: Fortran PDA
From:       Paul Brook <paul () codesourcery ! com>
Date:       2003-12-31 22:25:56

On Sunday 14 December 2003 7:19 pm, Andre Wiermann wrote:
> Dear Sirs,
>

> I have been using gcc and g77 (with Force 2.0 IDE) for some time now and
> I'm thinking to buy a PDA.  I do scientifc work on geophysics and develop
> electronic instruments for geophysics (magnetometers and dataloggers).
>
> Does anyone knows about a PDA (Palm/PocketPc) GNU/Free Fortran compiler?
>
> Is it possible to port gcc to some PDA OS using gcc's source code?

It depends what you mean by "port gcc". You may be able to build a cross
compiler targeted at your PDA. There's definitely arm-wince-pe and arm-pe
targets, although I con't know how well they work.

However I suspect from your email that you mean hosting a compiler on your
PDA. This is unlikley to work unless you can get your PDA running linux.
Getting gcc running on normal windows is hard enough, let alone some cutdown
pocketpc version.

Support for the ARM processors used in most PDAs is certainly present and
working in gcc - that's my day job:) However I don't know how well OSs other
than netbsd and linux are supported.

Note that these issues aren't fortran specific. If gcc works at all then the
fortran bits should also work.

Paul