List:       gcc
Subject:    Re: Code that worked in gcc-2.95.2 but not in 2.96...
From:       Benjamin Scherrey <scherrey () switchco ! com>
Date:       2000-09-19 6:18:08

llewelly@edevnull.com wrote:

> Benjamin Scherrey <scherrey@switchco.com> writes

> > stupid bug snipped>

> > const char* defaulttext = "Default exception!";
>
> You are missing a qualifier here. Try:
>
> const char* Default::defaulttext = "Default exception!";

    Thanx (and to A. Oliva) for pointing out my stupidity. I'd been making lots of \
little changes in other test programs (which I use to both try out new techniques and \
test compiler implementations) and just got too close to the code to see the obvious.

<snip>

> Are you sure your compiler was configured with --enable-libstdcxx-v3 ?
>
> (0) libstdcxx-v3 uses char_traits<>, not string_char_traits<>.
>
> (1) --enable-libstdcxx-v3 turns on -fhonor-std by default, so that
> things like 'cout', 'endl', 'string', etc, need appropriate
> qualifiers or using declarations.

    I thought I had but I guess I mistyped the --enable-libstdcxx-v3 during \
configure. Now, however, I've got it going and it complains that it can't find any of \
the headers! ( <iostream>, etc... ). I simply installed to the default location over \
my existing gcc-2.95.2 setup and now nothing seems to work at all! I can't include \
anything. FWIW - iostream and iostream.h exist in /usr/include/g++-2 and \
/usr/local/include/g++-3 but the compiler refuses to find them. Any ideas? I'm d/l \
the latest snapshot, 20000918, and will try it again to see what happens.

    thanx & later,

        Ben Scherrey