List:       gcc
Subject:    Re: Maintainers list
From:       Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer () dbai ! tuwien ! ac ! at>
Date:       2000-07-27 22:22:46

On Thu, 8 Jun 2000, DJ Delorie wrote:
> * The contribute.html page should include an example email to use when
>   following up to an unreviewed patch.  Having a standard subject
>   (example: "Follow-up to unreviewed patch") would make it easy for
>   maintainers to catch it the second time around.  It should also
>   suggest subject line conventions for the initial patch, like
>   "[patch] file.c file.h" so that the maintainers can quickly
>   determine if they should respond to it.

Having some conventions for Subjects makes sense. Many of us already do
something like that, but informally, like tagging C++ patches or listing
filenames affected by the patch.

I don't think we should be too strict, but some recommendations might
be useful. Concrete suggestions, anyone?

> I had also thought of a program that monitored gcc-patches and tried
> to guess when a patch went unreviewed, but the technical hurdles are
> pretty high for something like that.

If you can get this to work (more or less), a reminder bot might make
sense, though it certainly is not trivial to implement that.

I also made a suggestion in http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2000-07/msg00783.html
but have not received any response yet. :-(

Gerald