List:       gcc
Subject:    Re: GCC does not cope with my code
From:       Colin Howell <chowell () cygnus ! com>
Date:       2000-05-30 16:21:30

Alexandre Oliva <aoliva@cygnus.com> writes:

> On May 30, 2000, Gunnar Braun <braung@ert.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
>
> > I think the compiler (or better the optimizer) has internal limits
> > concerning the memory allocation, since the memory of my system
> > should be sufficient (1GB real + 4 GB swap memory).
>
> I doubt it.  On some systems, the per-process memory is limited.

Specifically, Gunnar, I think you're probably running into the stack
limit.  Unix systems normally have separate limits for the amount of
data and stack space used by a process, and the stack limit is
generally the more restrictive of these.  It also is the one most
likely to cause GCC to get a SIG11.  If you hit the data limit, GCC
would abort with a different sort of error (such as "Virtual memory
exhausted") when it attempted to allocate a data structure.  But when
GCC hits the stack limit, it may abort with SIG11 while trying to
access something on the stack.

You could increase the stack limit for your processes (see "man limit"
for details on how to do this), but it seems like restructuring your
code might be a better way to go.