List:       gcc
Subject:    Re: Installing Cross-Compiler
From:       Erik Mouw <J.A.K.Mouw () its ! tudelft ! nl>
Date:       2000-05-29 9:43:17

On 27 May 2000 17:48:00 -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On May 26, 2000, Desmond Cheung <dycheung@cs.sfu.ca> wrote:
>
>> ./fixinc.sh: /usr/local-kirin/gnudev/gnu/m68k/bar/m68k-coff/sys-include: does
> not exist
>
>> Does anybody know how to get around with this?
>
> You must have the target headers available in this directory so that
> fixinc can do its job on them.  If you don't have any target headers,
> you may need newlib.

This is usually a chicken-and-egg problem: in order to install the
headers, you need to compile libc with the cross compiler; to install the
cross compiler, you need the headers. You can get around this by using the
-Dinhibit_libc hack. It's described at:

  http://www.inkvine.fluff.org/~chris/arm-tools.html#app-inhibit

This page is specifically for a ArmLinux cross compiler, but the basic
idea can be applied to other cross compilers, too. When I use this hack, I
usually build gcc two times:

- compile and install gcc with -Dinhibit_libc hack, and only support C
- compile and install glibc
- recompile gcc without the -Dinhibit_libc hack, but this time with all
  the language support you need

Erik

are different -- Larry McVoy