List:       gcc
Subject:    Re: __property keyword support in GCC
From:       Benjamin Scherrey <scherrey () switchco ! com>
Date:       1999-12-13 19:27:30

	FWIW - ALL these extensions were put in before the ANSI C++ standard
existed and many (most) are being deprecated. What few extensions
remain or will possibly be implemented in the future will probably be
done by companies like Cygnus with clients who pay them significant
sums of money to implement these mods. Even then they may not make it
into the publicly released tree. As Joe has demonstrated a pretty
straightforward and portable workaround for your feature, such a thing
would be very unlikely to be implemented regardless.

	I'm personally a big fan of Borland's compilers. However, its always
been a policy to refrain from using vendor extensions or even their
implementations of standard libraries. This policy has served me very
well and, while YMMV, I expect you'd see similar results. Pretty much
the main odd extensions that remain are ones that Linux kernel source
(and possibly GNU c-lib?) have been dependent upon for some time. I'd
personally like to see these go away but there are many not-so-good
and a few really-good reasons why this won't happen any time soon.

	regards & later,

		Ben Scherrey