List:       gcc
Subject:    Re: Problem building gcc-2.95.2 under SCO 2.1.1
From:       Benjamin Scherrey <scherrey () switchco ! com>
Date:       1999-12-01 8:11:58

Robert Lipe wrote:

> Benjamin Scherrey wrote:
> > Well after getting a pretty good ways into the build (and several
> > hours later - slow computer), during stage1 I get the following error:
> >
> >       Undefined symbol                First referenced in
> >               alloca                          genattr.o
> >
> > I'm only using the SCO compiler and gcc-2.95.2 source code.
<snip>
> The alloca thing is often caused by mixing and matching compilers; if
> you configured with GCC but built with /bin/cc, you'll get behaviour
> like this.  Is it possible that you've crossed the streams at some
> point?  Did you have CC in your environment during the configure?
>
> Did you do a 'make bootstrap' or a 'make'?

	I don't have another compiler besides the SCO one. Could building
from the source directories cause this to occur? I did a 'make
bootstrap'.

> Was this during the build of stage1 or during the build with stage1/?
> (Please include more context in your report.)

	I'm not entirely sure I'm afraid and I've blown it away for a new
try.

> > My configure command was: ./configure --enable-shared --prefix=/usr
> > --exec-prefix=/usr
>
> Ick.  You have no right to complain if a 'make install' nukes your
> system files...

	OK - I'm going to go back and reconfig without the --prefix setups.

> > config.guess returned: i386-pc-sysv4.2uw2.1.1
> >
> > Also, configure failed if I tried to do it from another directory so I
>
> None of SCO's makes are up to the "source in one place, object in
> another" that works so well with the GNU projects.  I highly recommend
> using GNU make.  It's available on www.sco.com/skunkware if you don't
> want to build it.

	I d/l'd the make package file which installed fine but core dumps
when run. I'm d/l'ing source now and will try to build it from
scratch. Then I'll reconfigure from another directory and give it
another try.

	thanx for your help,

		Ben Scherrey