List:       gcc
Subject:    Stop sitting on cross-compile issues, Re: gcc_tooldir is useless
From:       Marc Espie <espie () quatramaran ! ens ! fr>
Date:       1999-09-30 14:27:47

In article <7134.938008250@upchuck.cygnus.com> you write:
>  In message <4.2.0.58.19990922152858.0653c810@mail.lauterbach.com>you write:
>  > Hmm, I've been playing with a fix for gcc/Makefile.in that may be related.
>  > The problem is that the stage makes don't get passed any flags and so
>  > (wrongly?) fallback to the defaults. I added $(ORDINARY_FLAGS_TO_PASS) to
>  > all of them. It fixes the variable passing problems I encountered, but I
>  > did only native builds/bootstraps so far.

>Please.  Let's not keep trying to band-aid this stuff.  Every time we add
>another band-aid it's just going to make it more difficult to untangle the
>problem.  Instead we need to invest our time in untangling the mess.

Please either do find the time to look at people's fixes for cross-compiling
and include them, or starting cleaning up the configure process already.

I have sent a small patch (fix cross-compiles in obscure cases) that looks
reasonably obvious, that I would just like someone to look at, because
I don't like stuff which isn't peer-reviewed.

I do hope you're not holding up on that patch because of the `band-aiding'
problem.

I know quite well what you're dealing with.
To take a non-gcc example, I'm maintaining the pkg tools for OpenBSD.
An assorted collection of horrid C that does a fairly bad job of installing
packages correctly.  I really want to ditch it and replace it with perl
scripts. Faster, leaner and better. Clean redesign some scratch.

I've started the redesign, and stopped caring about the old tools.

But it takes time. And I'm busy with other projects.

So I finally realized that I still needed to get critical and obvious
bug-fixes in during the mean time.  No way around it, it's just the way
quality works for release processes.  Just because the new-fangled, nice
version is `just around the corner' (typical wishful thinking, usually months
away) doesn't mean you can let go of maintaining the current tools.