List:       gcc
Subject:    Re: assembler problems with: g++ 2.95.1/Solaris 2.6/ -O3
From:       Mike Moran <Mike.Moran () ee ! ed ! ac ! uk>
Date:       1999-09-30 13:55:07

Gerald Pfeifer wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Mike Moran wrote:
> > Hi, as the subject says, I'm having problems compiling a c++ file, with
> > g++ 2.95.1, Solaris 2.6, and option -O3. The error I get is:
> >
> > /usr/ccs/bin/as: "/var/tmp/ccMsw135.s", line 11041: error: can't compute
> > value of an expression involving an external symbol
>
> Have a look at our fine install documentation! ;-)
>
>   http://gcc.gnu.org/install/specific.html#*-*-solaris*
>
> (Any suggestions for improvements are very welcome.)

Hi. Since it now seems that this is the problem (thanks for the help
btw), one suggestion I would make is to give an example set of errors
you may get which indicate that this is the problem. For example, you
could give the one I cited above. It's often hard to go from an error to
a problem area if you don't know for sure you're going in the right
direction. This is why things like dejanews are so useful as they tend
to give you an idea that other people are having the same problem.

Anyway, thanks again for the help.

--
Mike Moran, Dept. of Electrical Engineering, The University of Edinburgh
King's Buildings, Mayfield Rd, Edinburgh EH9 3JL