List:       gcc
Subject:    Re: Making generated files read-only
From:       "Bruce Korb" <ddsinc09 () ix ! netcom ! com>
Date:       1999-03-30 21:35:30

>  > If it's okay with you, I'll add that to contrib/egcs_update.
>What happens to the code that wants to update those readonly files.  ie,
>automake, autogen and friends.  If they all continue to work, then great,
>if not, then making them readonly is a lose.

AutoGen assumes its output is to be made read-only.
Do not forget to "chmod +w ..." _before_ you start the "cvs update" :)
I cannot answer for automake.
The make rules for yacc/lex would have to be fixed a bit.
I am sure you will have to have all the relevent tools,
turn off write permission and then run the tools to see what happens.

Jeff?: Please forward to egcs@egcs.cygnus.com I am unable to use
my remailer right now :)

Thanks,
Bruce