List:       gcc
Subject:    Re: PRE in gcse.c
From:       "David S. Miller" <davem () dm ! cobaltmicro ! com>
Date:       1998-11-10 17:13:25

   Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 08:23:15 +0000
   From: Jamie Lokier <egcs@tantalophile.demon.co.uk>

   On Mon, Nov 09, 1998 at 04:08:05PM +0100, Andi Kleen wrote:
   > Program flow optimization: use profile feedback/__builtin_expect to
   > generate code that doesn't jump at all for the fast path and moves all
   > infrequently called code out of line.

   Oh, __builtin_expect, I like the sound of that.  Would that be
   __builtin_expect(expr) asserting that expr is expected to be non-zero?

Meissner had patches to implement __builtin_expect(), I don't believe
they ever slipped in last time he posted them (this was in the gcc2
days).  It would be nice to re-review them now and see if we can get
them into the egcs tree now.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com