List:       gcc
Subject:    Re: Proposal for new organization of gcc
From:       Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha () arm ! com>
Date:       1998-01-21 19:33:30

> Richard Earnshaw writes:
>
> > Perhaps one solution for the multiple sub-libraries problem is for the
> > build/install process to merge any existing libgcc.a with the new
> > functions that are required, creating a single super-library that contains
> > support routines for all the installed compilers.
>
> This doesn't sound right to me.  Changing libraries that are installed
> already seems a bad idea to me.  Installing multiple libraries, OTOH,
> does not seem a big problem, IMHO.

But then the driver program has to know (or to be able to determine) what
all libraries are called, or the user has to explicitly add them.  Merging
the knowledge of multiple language support libraries into the driver
problem is probably harder than merging the libraries.

You pays your money and you makes your choice.