List:       gcc
Subject:    Re: Proposal for new organization of gcc
From:       Alexandre Oliva <oliva () dcc ! unicamp ! br>
Date:       1998-01-12 12:03:07

Richard Kenner writes:

>     Having the C front-end in the base tar file is ok for me, but I don't
>     like to be required to build it just because I want to install the
>     front-end for one more language.

> "one *more*"?

Let me be clearer.  Suppose I had installed gcc-2.7.2.3 and g77-0.5.19
with a few local patches some weeks ago.  Then I removed the sources
and the build tree.

Now I'd like to upgrade to g77-0.5.20.  In a good world, I wouldn't
have to bootstrap gcc again just to be able to build g77, I could
simply tell g77: hey, use that gcc installed in /usr/local/bin, it
will do.  In a perfect world, GCS would have already installed a
library and some include-files that would allow g77 to build *without*
a top-level GCS directory.

--
Alexandre Oliva
mailto:oliva@dcc.unicamp.br mailto:aoliva@acm.org