List:       gcc
Subject:    Re: unreachable intro to gcc page linked to on readings page
From:       Gerald Pfeifer <gerald () pfeifer ! com>
Date:       2022-08-29 10:31:52

On Wed, 24 Aug 2022, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
>> a broken link points to
>>
>>   An introduction to GCC by Brian J. Gough.
>>   . http://www.network-theory.co.uk/gcc/intro/
> There are much more recent archived copies like
> https://web.archive.org/web/20181113021321/http://www.network-theory.co.uk/gcc/intro/
> I'm not sure it's worth updating the link to an archived copy of that
> page, because all the links for buying a PDF or printed copy are
> probably dead now anyway.
>
> We could link to https://archive.org/details/B-001-002-835 instead, or
> to the archived HTML version. The newest capture of the HTML version
> seems to be this, although I didn't check that all pages are archived:
> https://web.archive.org/web/20181206025406/http://www.network-theory.co.uk/docs/gccintro/
> My preference would be to link to that latter. Although it's quite
> dated, the sections on basic compilation and compiler flags are still
> relevant for beginners.
>
> Gerald?

I searched around a bit myself (since indeed the original and printed
versions seem to be gone) and landed at

   https://archive.org/details/B-001-002-835

as well. I probably would have gone for that, though the
web.archive.org/web link you found works equally if you want to point
there instead.

Gerald (who appears in the Acknowledgement section of that book :-)