List:       gcc
Subject:    Re: Google Summer Of Code
From:       Martin Jambor <mjambor () suse ! cz>
Date:       2019-01-28 18:01:11

Hello Vikramsingh,

On Mon, Jan 21 2019, Vikramsingh Kushwaha wrote:
> Respected sir/madam
> I, Vikramsingh Kushwaha, currently studying in B.Tech 3rd year computer
> engineering in MIT Pune, India. I am very much interested to contribute in
> the open source projects. But i am new to this so I needed some guidance.
> Even i wanted to participate in Google Dummer Of Code, so i wanted your
> organisation to be my mentor.
> Kindly, be my mentor, i am ready for any challenge or task, test whatever
> you want to take. I shall be sharing my github and codechef profile. I am
> an average coder but a dedicated hard worker.

We are delighted you found contributing to GCC interesting.  On the
other hand, I am worried that you also need at least some rudimentary
theoretical background in the area of compilers in order to apply.

Nevertheless, you can definitely try yourself and see how difficult it
will be.  Please look again at the "Before you apply" section of the
idea page https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/SummerOfCode#Before_you_apply and
make sure you are able to build, install and test GCC and then have it
generate dumps and step through some function during compilation.

Afterwards, if you still find contributing to GCC interesting, look at
a suggested idea, try to identify the portion of GCC source which is
involved and email us back to the mailing list, describing which idea
you liked best and what your thoughts about it are.

Good luck,

Martin