List:       gcc
Subject:    Plugins always enabled in GCC 4.8?
From:       Basile Starynkevitch <basile () starynkevitch ! net>
Date:       2012-03-31 17:51:24

Hello All,

If we want to aim towards a more modular GCC made of several shared libraries, it seems
that we are requiring the host system to have dynamic libraries (which is not a big deal
today; all the major OSes running on developers desktop or laptop have them).

In that case, I think that we should always --enable-plugin at configure time, hence
making that configure switch useless (since always on).

What do you think?

Do we aim at running next GCC on systems without dynamic libraries or withour plugins?
(If yes, why and which ones)?

Likewise, I also hope that next GCC will be only C++ compilable (and that we remove the
ability to compile it with C)

More generally, I would like a description, or a list of host systems for GCC. What kind
of system services [e.g. dlopen, time, ...] to we require GCC to access to?

Regards.
*** opinions {are only mine, sont seulement les miennes} ***