List:       gcc
Subject:    [gnu.org #702521] Re: Romain Geissler copyright assignment
From:       "Donald R Robertson III via RT" <copyright-clerk () fsf ! org>
Date:       2011-07-27 19:52:15

> [romain.geissler@gmail.com - Wed Jul 27 14:05:48 2011]:
>
> Le 26 juil. 2011 à 16:45, Yvan ROUX a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > Romain is doing an internship at STMicroelectronics on GCC plugins, and
> > as his mentor, I confirm and/or inform you that he is covered by the
> > copyright assignement RT 211150 between ST and FSF.
> >
> > Regards.
> >
> > --
> > Yvan ROUX <yvan.roux@st.com>
> > STMicroelectronics
>
> Hi,
>
> As an intern, i'm already covered by a copyright assignment from
> STMicroelectronics, but do i also need one from my school (Ensimag: École
> nationale supérieure d'informatique et de mathématiques appliquées de
> Grenoble (France)) ? If yes, how do i proceed to get one ?

I would assume that at most we would need just a disclaimer from the university (included in
text at the bottom of this email). If the school would have a claim to owning your work (perhaps
because they are paying for it or it is being done as part of a course) then we would need an
assignment. Otherwise, you can just print out the disclaimer, give it to the appropriate person
at the school to fill out and sign, and then send a scanned copy back to me. If you are not sure
who the proper person would be to ask to sign it, talk to your department chair, s/he should
know. Thank you so much for contributing, and I hope to hear from you soon.

--
Sincerely,

Donald R. Robertson, III, J.D.
Assignment Administrator
Free Software Foundation
51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor
Boston, MA 02110
Phone +1-617-542-5942
Fax +1-617-542-2652

---

If you are a student at a college or university where, due to general
policy or a specific agreement which you signed, a claim might be made
by the institution to your work or to copyrights or patents arising from
it, then you and we need a signed piece of paper from the school
disclaiming rights to your changes.

Here is a disclaimer you can get signed to cover your future
changes to GNU software, as well as your past changes.

The disclaimer should be signed by someone authorized to license
patents and copyrights for the school; you should find out who has
that authorization.  It may be a specific office that deals with
patent, copyright, and trademark issues, it may be the school's lawyer
or president, or (hopefully) some more accessible official.  If you
can't get at them, anyone else authorized to issue licenses for
software produced there will do.

Much of this disclaimer consists of a description of which kinds of
work it applies to.  This description is just a suggestion--it can be
replaced with any description that says clearly which kinds of work
they want to disclaim and which kinds they don't.  Paragraph (b) is
optional; they can delete it if they wish.

If the school says they do have a claim that could conflict with the
use of the program, then please put us in touch with a suitable
representative of the school, so that we can negotiate what to do
about it.  Send a note about the issue to the school representative
and to assign@gnu.org.

IMPORTANT: When you talk to the school representative, *no matter what
instructions they have given you*, don't fail to show them the sample
disclaimer below, or a disclaimer with the details filled in for your
specific case.  Schools are often willing to sign a disclaimer
without any fuss.  If you make your request less specific, you may
cloud the issue and cause a long and unnecessary delay.

Please keep a copy of the school's signed disclaimer, and snail the
original to us at

Attn: Disclaimer Clerk
Free Software Foundation
51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor
Boston, MA 02110
USA

DISCLAIMER OF RIGHTS BY A COLLEGE OR UNIVERSITY

   We agree that software and other authored works of the 'Released
Category' (defined below), made by _________________________, a
student or graduate student at this school, prior to the date of this
document, and for _____ years thereafter, are freely assignable by
said student to Free Software Foundation (FSF) for distribution and
sharing under its free software policies.  We disclaim any status as
the author or owner of such works; we do not consider them as works
made for hire for us.

  The Released Category comprises

(a) changes and enhancements to software already (as of the time such
change or enhancement is made) freely circulating under stated terms
permitting public redistribution, whether in the public domain, or
under the FSF's GNU General Public License, or under the FSF's GNU
Lesser General Public License (a.k.a. the GNU Library General Public
License), or under other such terms; and

(b) operating system components for operating systems providing
substantially the same functionality as portions of UNIX, BSD,
Microsoft Windows, or other popular operating systems.
The Released Category excludes ______________________ [if 'none',
please so state; thank you--FSF].

   We affirm that we will do nothing in the future to undermine this
release.  If we have or acquire hereafter any proprietary interest
(including, without limitation, any patent or copyright interest)
dominating the works, or the programs to which these works constitute
changes and enhancements, or use of those programs, then the Free Software
Foundation and the general public will be permanently and irrevocably
licensed to use, in these works and in the programs they enhance,
without royalty or limitation, the subject matter of the dominating the
works, or the programs to which these works constitute changes and
enhancements, or use of those programs, then the Free Software
Foundation and the general public will be permanently and irrevocably
licensed to use, in these works and in the programs they enhance,
without royalty or limitation, the subject matter of the dominating
interest.

   We make no warranty as to the quality of the material or as to
the presence or absence of rights therein of any other party, and we
do not purport to disclaim, release or grant any rights other than our
own.

   Given as a sealed instrument this ___ day of ______, 20__.